Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Arrival of the Train

And since it's an off day, I figure I should add some of my train videos now. I thought I would have more time to fit them in, but we are already at the half-way point and I only posted the Johnny Cash video (although if I could only post one, that would be it.)

But, there's more. One of the oldest "movies" ever made was about a train arriving at the station by the Lumiere Brothers in 1895. In fact, I believe when I was in college, I was taught it was the very first movie and inspired a panic when first shown:  "The spectators ran out of the hall in terror because the locomotive headed right for them. They feared it could plunge off the screen and onto them." (https://muse.jhu.edu/article/171125#FOOT3) In the years since I have been in college, it appears this myth has been debunked. However, it wouldn't hurt to take a moment to look at the cause of the excitement over the last century.



Quo Vadimus

1 comment:

  1. Hey Frick and Frack, just wanna say your trip is so cool. I've been loving all of the pictures and you guys are experiencing so much. Can't wait for your next post! *Christina from Lynnhaven*

    ReplyDelete